If you would like to create your own mandala design then you’re in the right place. I have put together 10 FREE mandala printables, including 3 blank templates (only the basic shapes) so that you can find a mandala template to suit your creative needs!
What is a Mandala Template?
Mandala templates are circular shapes with patterns or images that can be printed and then colored in to create your own colorful and artistic designs.
I have created 10 FREE printable templates so you can create your own beautiful mandalas at home!
We hope this post will inspire your artistic side and maybe even help bring some peace into your life through art-making 🙂
Why are printable templates cool?
*This page may contain affiliate links to products I have used or recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.**
Printable stencil templates are great tools for adults and children alike. They can be printed on any printer, cut out at will, or transferred onto watercolor paper to serve as an outline for a painting.
I have included 10 different Mandala template printables saved in PDF format in A4 size – so printing is easy!
You don’t have to mess with your printer settings. Quickly set the size you need!
If you want to print out a mandala template on a larger A3 sheet then make sure to ‘set to size’ on your printer settings.
What do Mandalas represent?
A Mandala is an ancient spiritual practice that originated in India and has grown to be popular all over the world.
A mandala can represent many different things, but most often it’s used as a tool for meditation or self-reflection.
The word “mandala” means circle, which refers to its shape; traditionally, they are circular with concentric patterns that vary depending on their use.
10 FREE Mandala Templates
Blank Mandala Template
Blank Flower Mandala Template
Blank Spiral Mandala Template
Flower Mandala Template 2
Lotus Mandala Template
Flower Mandala Template 3
Heart and Rose Mandala Template
Star Mandala Template
Rose Mandala Template
Poppy Mandala Template
Download your templates below!
What can you do with your mandala template?
All of these mandala template printables can be used in your art journal, creative journal, junk journal, bullet journal (I love them all!).
Use them for crafting, school projects, décor, posters, bulletin boards, invitations, wedding stationery), birthday cards… and really anything your mind can conceive of!
Watercolor Brush Pen Mandala!
Use watercolor brush pens to create a stenciled mandala template. I use Arteza Real Watercolor Brush Pens and they are seriously awesome!
This is a fun and easy brush pen project that is great for both children and adults!
Watercolor brush pens are awesome for creating a watercolor effect for art and craft projects.
To help you out, I have put together these printable templates so that all you have to do is transfer the shape onto your watercolor paper and get on with the painting.
If you would like to try this out, you should transfer the mandala template to watercolor paper. This is how…
How to Transfer the Mandala Template to Watercolor Paper (Method One)
- Print out your mandala template on standard printer paper.
- Tape your printed template to a window with light behind it so that you can see the outline of the mandala coming through.
- Using a soft lead pencil (2B, 4B, 6B, or 8B), trace over the printed outline of the mandala template that you can see through the paper. Do this quite firmly so that you have left enough lead on the surface to be transferred easily onto the watercolor paper.
- Place your printed mandala template with the traced pencil outline face-down on your watercolor paper.
- Using your pencil once again, trace the printed mandala template outline so that the pencil line gets transferred to your watercolor paper.
- Voila! You have your transferred shape, and you don’t need to hand-draw it yourself!
- Now you can use your watercolor or watercolor brush pens and start your painting!
How to Transfer the Mandala Template to Watercolor Paper (Method Two)
Here are some quick steps to get your Mandala stencil ready to use.
- Open your Mandala Template PDF and select print.
- Choose the size you want to print to.
- Print the stencil onto a mylar transparency sheet. (Alternatively, you can print the seahorse template onto a standard piece of paper and then trace it onto a piece of plastic mylar after)
- On a cutting mat, use a craft knife to carefully cut out the shapes of your Mandala template.
- Your stencil is now ready to use.
How to Create Watercolor Stencil Art
- Place your Mandala template on watercolor paper.
- Tape down your sheet of watercolor paper using artist masking tape.
- If you want to, you can start your watercolor painting by first applying a light wash of color before you begin with your top layer. This can create a lovely layered effect!
- Spray the back of your mandala template using spray adhesive and stick it on your watercolor paper.
- Start applying washes of watercolor over the paper and the stencils. You will find that to paint into the crevices, and small spaces of the stencil you need to manipulate your paintbrush. It is important that the watercolor paint doesn’t bleed underneath the stencil, so always work with a light touch.
- Allow the paint to dry fully before removing the stencil.
- Use warm water and soap to gently wash the stencil (if using a plastic watercolor stencil) so that it can be reused and is ready for the next time!
Other Ways to Use your Mandala Template Printables
Party and home decor!
Decorate your patio, lounge, kitchen, or any other room in your house or office with some magical mandala art!
Cut out the stencil and paint over it onto cardstock or watercolor paper, using watercolor, watercolor brush pens, or even spray paint.
Print out the mandala templates on bright-colored cardstock or paper, cut out the shapes, and create your own mandala garland to decorate walls or doorways.
Use the mandala templates to create interesting shapes, backgrounds, patterns, or focus areas in your art journal.
[Related article: 101 Cool Designs to Draw | Easy Ideas for Drawing Fun!]
Color your mandala template with markers or watercolor to create a colorful and joyful invitation for a summer-themed party.
If you like to color in, you can use the mandala templates as a fun way to add color and creativity to your doodling.
Stick them on walls or gift wrap for added decoration!
Use the mandala templates on clothing or fabric.
You can go ahead and print these mandala templates directly onto clothing or fabric – create your own mandala shirt!
If you have printed them onto the fabric then cut out the images and sew them onto t-shirts, hats, or bags for some cute themed accessories!
Or use fabric paint over the mandala template stencil to create your own homemade apron, table cloth, or bag!
Create your own mandala stickers by printing the mandala template on sticker paper and cutting out the shapes.
You can then use these stickers for anything you like!
Use them as a fun way to label party favors, package up treats in gift bags or boxes, make place cards for your dinner table at any celebration… the possibilities are endless with these printable templates!
Print them on different paper.
Try printing them on texture paper or even tracing paper. You can really get some great effects!
If you want to get started with mandala designs, I have put together 10 FREE printable templates for you. 3 of the templates are blank so that you can create your own unique design and express yourself in a way that is personal to YOU!
Here are some other templates that you might like!