Looking for a printable whale template? Check out these six traceable whales for watercolor painting! Featuring a variety of whale designs, these templates are perfect for anyone looking to add some creativity and flair to their next whale artwork. So grab your paints and let’s start!
*This page may contain affiliate links to products I have used or recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.**
6 Free Traceable Whale Templates
Download and print out your favorite whale template below!
What can you do with your printable whale template?
These whale outlines and template printables can be used to create whimsical art in your art journal, creative journal, junk journal, or bullet journal (I use them all :)).
Use them for beautifying your crafting, school projects, posters, bulletin boards, invitations, home decor
How to Transfer the Printable Whale Template to Watercolor Paper (Method One)
- Print out your whale template on standard printer paper.
- Tape your printed template to a window with light behind it so that you can see the outline of the whale coming through.
- Using a soft lead pencil (2B, 4B, 6B, or 8B), trace over the printed outline of the whale template so that you can see through the paper. Do this quite firmly so that you have left enough lead on the surface to be transferred easily onto the watercolor paper.
- Place your printed whale template with the traced pencil outline face-down on your watercolor paper.
- Using your pencil once again, trace the printed whale outline so that the pencil line gets transferred to your watercolor paper.
- Voila! You have your transferred shape, and you don’t need to draw it freehand by yourself!
- Now you can use your watercolor or watercolor brush pens and start your painting 🙂
How to Transfer the Whale Template to Watercolor Paper (Method Two)
Here are some quick steps to get your printable whale template ready to use.
- Open your Whale Printable Template PDF and select print.
- Choose the size you want to print to.
- Print the stencil onto a mylar transparency sheet. (Alternatively, you can print the whale template onto a standard piece of paper and then trace it onto a piece of plastic mylar after)
- On a cutting mat, use a craft knife to carefully cut out the shapes of your whale shape.
- Your stencil is now ready to use.
- Place your whale stencil on watercolor paper.
- Tape down your sheet of watercolor paper using artist masking tape.
- If you want to, you can start your watercolor painting by first applying a light wash of color before you begin with your top layer. This can create a lovely layered effect!
- Spray the back of your whale stencil using spray adhesive and stick it on your watercolor paper.
- Start applying washes of watercolor over the paper and the stencil. You will find that to paint into the crevices, and small spaces of the stencil you need to manipulate your paintbrush. It is important that the watercolor paint doesn’t bleed underneath the stencil, so always work with a light touch.
- Allow the paint to dry fully before removing the stencil.
- Use warm water and soap to gently wash the stencil (if using a plastic watercolor stencil) so that it can be reused and is ready for the next time!
Other Ways to Use your Printable Whale Template…
Decorate your balcony, lounge, kitchen, bedroom, or any other room in your house or office with some beautiful whale art.
Print the whale template onto cardstock or watercolor paper, and use watercolor, watercolor brush pens, or spray paint to color your artwork.
Make a whimsical whale-themed page in your art journal.
You can use the printable whale template to create backgrounds, patterns, or focal areas in your art journal.
Color your whale template with markers or watercolor to create a beautiful birthday invitation.
If you like to color in, you can use the printable whale templates as a fun way to add color and creativity to your doodling.
Stick them on walls or gift wrap for added decoration!
Create your own Christmas wreath stickers by printing the templates on sticker paper and cutting out the shapes.
You can then use these stickers for anything you like!
Use them as a wonderful way to label gift bags or boxes, make place cards for your dinner table, or stick them on cards.
These five templates are the perfect way to get started with your next watercolor painting. Simply print out one of the printable whale template designs and let your creativity flow! Which template did you choose? Let us know in the comments below!
Happy art-making everyone!
Other articles you may enjoy…