Last Updated on June 11, 2023 by Dee
Are you looking for a seahorse template? I found 9 FREE printables that are perfect for any type of art project. They range from simple to more intricate and can be used as templates or to inspire your own creations! Read on to find out about the templates, links to download them, and ideas for how you might use them in your next project.
Why are printable templates cool?
*This page may contain affiliate links to products I have used or recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.**
Printable stencil templates are great tools for adults and children alike. They can be printed on any printer, cut out at will, or transferred onto watercolor paper to serve as an outline for a painting.
I have included 9 different seahorse templates saved in PDF format in A4 size – so printing is easy!
You don’t have to mess with your printer settings. Quickly set the size you need!
If you want to print out a seahorse template on a larger A3 sheet then make sure to ‘set to size’ on your printer settings.
What do seahorses represent?
Seahorses are mythical creatures that are part of many seashore legends. They are seen as guardians of the oceans, seers, bringers of good fortune, symbols of love and loyalty, or even linked to fairy tales.
They have become so popular with children that seahorses now feature in movies like Finding Nemo. I remember seahorses from a favorite childhood story The Little Mermaid.
Seahorses come in many colors and patterns. They can be small or very large. Some seahorse species live in the ocean while others live in brackish water or even freshwater!
Because seahorses are such fantastic creatures, it’s no wonder seahorse templates are in demand!
I hope you enjoy these seahorse templates. If you do use them, please send me a picture or tag @artsydee-inspiring-creations on Instagram. I would love to see how they inspire your creativity!
9 FREE Seahorse Templates
Large Seahorse Template
Magical Seahorse Template
9 Small Seahorses Template
Simple Seahorse Template
Seahorse Template with Bubbles
Spiky Seahorse Silhouette
Seahorse Template Silhouette
Seahorse Template Printable
Dragon Seahorse Stencil
Subscribe below to my newsletter and get these FREE Seahorse Templates now!
What can you do with your seahorse template?
All of these seahorse template printables can be used in your art journal, creative journal, junk journal, bullet journal (I love them all!).
Use them for crafting, school projects, décor, posters, bulletin boards, invitations, wedding stationery), birthday cards… and really anything your mind can conceive of!
Watercolor Brush Pen Seahorse!
Use watercolor brush pens to create a stenciled seahorse template. I use Arteza Real Watercolor Brush Pens and they are seriously awesome!
This is a fun and easy brush pen project that is great for both children and adults!
Watercolor brush pens are awesome for creating a watercolor effect for art and craft projects.
To help you out, I have put together these printable templates so that all you have to do is transfer the shape onto your watercolor paper and get on with the painting.
If you would like to try this out, you should transfer the seahorse template to watercolor paper. This is how…
How to Transfer the Seahorse Template to Watercolor Paper (Method One)
- Print out your seahorse template on standard printer paper.
- Tape your printed template to a window with light behind it so that you can see the outline of the pineapple coming through.
- Using a soft lead pencil (2B, 4B, 6B, or 8B), trace over the printed outline of the sun template that you can see through the paper. Do this quite firmly so that you have left enough lead on the surface to be transferred easily onto the watercolor paper.
- Place your printed seahorse template with the traced pencil outline face-down on your watercolor paper.
- Using your pencil once again, trace the printed seahorse template outline so that the pencil line gets transferred to your watercolor paper.
- Voila! You have your transferred shape, and you don’t need to hand-draw it yourself!
- Now you can use your watercolor or watercolor brush pens and start your painting!
How to Transfer the Seahorse Template to Watercolor Paper (Method Two)
Here are some quick steps to get your Seahorse stencil ready to use.
- Open your Seahorse Template PDF and select print.
- Choose the size you want to print to.
- Print the stencil onto a mylar transparency sheet. (Alternatively, you can print the seahorse template onto a standard piece of paper and then trace it onto a piece of plastic mylar after)
- On a cutting mat, use a craft knife to carefully cut out the shapes of your seahorse template.
- Your stencil is now ready to use.
How to Create Watercolor Stencil Art
- Place your seahorse template or seahorse stencil on watercolor paper.
- Tape down your sheet of watercolor paper using artist masking tape.
- If you want to, you can start your watercolor painting by first applying a light wash of color before you begin with your top layer. This can create a lovely layered effect!
- Spray the back of your seahorse stencil using spray adhesive and stick it on your watercolor paper.
- Start applying washes of watercolor over the paper and the stencils. You will find that to paint into the crevices, and small spaces of the stencil you need to manipulate your paintbrush. It is important that the watercolor paint doesn’t bleed underneath the stencil, so always work with a light touch.
- Allow the paint to dry fully before removing the stencil.
- Use warm water and soap to gently wash the stencil (if using a plastic watercolor stencil) so that it can be reused and is ready for the next time!
Other Ways to Use your Sun Template Printables
Party and home decor!
Decorate your patio, lounge, kitchen, or any other room in your house or office with some magical ocean art!
Cut out the stencil and paint over it onto cardstock or watercolor paper, using watercolor, watercolor brush pens, or even spray paint.
Print out the seahorse templates on bright-colored cardstock or paper, cut out the shapes, and create your own ocean garland to decorate walls or doorways.
Use the seahorse stencil templates to create interesting shapes, backgrounds, patterns, or focus areas in your art journal.
Color your seahorse stencil template with markers or watercolor to create a colorful and joyful invitation for a summer-themed party.
If you like to color in, you can use the seahorse templates as a fun way to add color and creativity to your doodling.
Stick them on walls or gift wrap for added decoration!
Use the seahorse template stencils on clothing or fabric.
You can go ahead and print these seahorse templates directly onto clothing or fabric – create your own seaside shirt!
If you have printed them onto the fabric then cut out the images and sew them onto t-shirts, hats, or bags for some cute themed accessories!
Or use fabric paint over the sun template stencil to create your own homemade apron, table cloth, or bag!
Create your own seahorse stickers by printing the seahorse stencil template on sticker paper and cutting out the shapes.
You can then use these stickers for anything you like!
Use them as a fun way to label party favors, package up treats in gift bags or boxes, make place cards for your dinner table at any celebration… the possibilities are endless with these printable templates!
Print them on different paper.
Try printing them on texture paper or even tracing paper. You can really get some great effects!
The seahorse template printables above are all available for download, and you might find that they give you the creative boost to start your next project.
Whether it’s an art journal or a mixed media canvas, these free printable seahorses will get your creative juices flowing.
Here are some other templates that you might like!